Federal hydra shok JHP ammo is an excellent ammunition trusted by law enforcement agencies and carry-permit holders alike. This round features hydroshock round jacketed hollow points which utilize a unique center-post design that delivers controlled expansion. The notched jacket provides efficient energy transfer to penetrate barriers while retaining stopping power. The deep penetration of this jacketed bullet satisfies even the FBI’s stringent testing requirements making this an ideal round for self-defense!
HydraShok rounds is the best self-defense ammo. The HydraShok brand has always been a worthy contender when it comes to both effective penetration and efficient expansion.
This 180 grain HydraShok round is relatively mild in terms of velocity. It moves at only roughly 1,000 FPS. This makes it about a 100 FPS faster than a standard 40 S&W load with a 180-grain round.
However, it does penetrate 15.9 inches on average and expands to an impressive .61 inches. It’s a heavy little load that is controllable, especially from a full-sized gun. Penetration and expansion are the bullet’s job and your job is to ensure the round hits somewhere effective enough to ensure the penetration and expansion matters.
Ballistics Test Summary
In order to find out how different self-defense handgun loads perform, we decided to do some ballistics gelatin testing of our own. The chart below is a compilation of expansion and penetration data for Federal 180 gr Hydra-Shok fired from 10 feet, through four layers of fabric (to simulate clothing), using a Glock 20 pistol.
The photo slider provides a close-up view of the bullets we recovered from the gelatin, and the video shows this load entering the gel in extreme slow motion.
The diagrams at the bottom of the page can give you an idea of how this load compares to other 10mm Auto self-defense loads that we tested.
We did a lot more of this ballistic gelatin testing, including over 100 different loads in a variety of calibers, so check out Lucky Gunner Labs for all the details.
|10mm Auto – 180 Grain Hydra-Shok JHP – Federal Premium – 20 Rounds|
|Bullet Depth (in.)||14.5||15.6||16||16.2||17.1|
|Expanded Diameter (in.)||0.6||0.6||0.61||0.62||0.63|
|Bullet Weight after shot (gr.)||180||180||180||180||180|
|Bullet Velocity (fps)||995||1001||1001||1004||1009|
How do the results for this Federal 10mm Auto compare to other 10mm Ammo?
- 0.81″This ammo: 0.615″ Min: 0.4″Median: 0.665″Max: 0.81″Expansion Diameter in 10mm Auto Caliber
Features and Specifications
|Bullet Weight||180 Grain|
|Bullet Type||Jacketed Hollow-Point (JHP)|
|Ammo Casing||Nickel-Plated Brass|
|Ammo Caliber||10mm Auto|
|Muzzle Velocity (fps)||1030|
|Muzzle Energy (ft lbs)||424|
What’s in the Box?
- Federal 180 Grain Hydra-Shok
Important Product and Safety Information
- To begin, you must be 18 or older to purchase Rifle or Shotgun Ammunition and 21 or older to purchase Handgun Ammunition. In ordering this product, you certify that you are of legal age and satisfy your jurisdiction’s legal requirements to purchase this product.
- Moreover, for safety reasons, we do not accept returns on ammunition. Always make sure you use the correct ammunition for your specific firearm.
- Similarly, the sale or shipment of this product to residents of certain jurisdictions is prohibited. Check your local laws before ordering this product. Check your local laws for any other regulations.
- Consequently, we recommend the use of protective eyewear whenever using or near the use of this item.
- Lastly, items will only be shipped using Ground Shipping to the contiguous 48 states only.